Summer Student Programme 2018
July 9 - August 31, 2018
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH (HZB) has been established in 2009 to merge two of Berlin´s largest research institutes, the Hahn-Meitner-Institut and BESSY, into one centre. The HZB continues the long tradition inviting summer students of the former Hahn-Meitner-Institut.Read more about the research at the HZB here.
Each summer HZB offers undergraduate students the eight-week summer student programme. Students from all over the world get the chance to work on their own research project in close cooperation with scientists. The programme offers students the opportunity to participate in the everyday work of our research teams at their laboratories or experimental areas located at the HZB-campuses in Berlin-Wannsee or Berlin-Adlershof.The programme is accomplished by site visits at the neutron source BER II, the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II, laboratories for solar energy research and an accelerator producing proton beams for eye tumour therapy.
- You are an undergraduate student and have completed, by summer of attending, at least two years of full-time studies at university level.
- A good knowledge of English is essential, knowledge of German would be an advantage.
Applicants who already obtained a master-degree are not accepted. Please take note that due to regulations for paid traineeships in Germany we can only accept students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summer student programme.
- Duration of stay 8 weeks
- Working time 40 hours/week
- Report written by the end of stay
What we offer
- We provide 1700 Euro gross for external participants and 900 Euro for students of the universities located in Berlin and Potsdam.
- Travel costs will be reimbursed at maximum 500 €. Please use reductions, if possible. Please bring along all tickets also for local transportation system.
- Train tickets: A round trip train fare 2nd class ticket from your current place of stay to Berlin will be reimbursed.
- Flight tickets: For long distances or if the train fare is more expensive than a flight a round-trip airfare will be reimbursed.
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final selection results will be communicated to the cancidates by mid-April at the latest.
How to apply
To get started, please set up an account so you can return to the site to work on your application at any time.
Deadline for application is February 11, 2018!